Current State and Future of Secret Service API

Valentin Rusu kde at rusu.info
Thu Aug 21 15:34:57 PDT 2014

On 21/08/14 06:37:31, Gary A Mort wrote:

> On 16/08/14 19:29:37, Gary A Mort wrote:
> >
> > KWallet can act as a Secret Service client - but only if compiled on a
> > system where KSecretService is installed.
> >

> > This leads me to consider the API still in draft mode so I wanted to take
> > moment to comment on some shortcomings I find with the service.
>
> Please note that there is a list to discuss Secret Service API - I put
> this list in CC. Hope you'll get some answers from that list, also.
>

> The only list I could find was ksecret-devel and it hasn't been used in over
> two years.
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/ksecretservice-devel/

KSecretService development started at the moment where kdelibs
refactoring also started. At that time, the kdelibs was frozen for new
features. So KSecretService development stalled. Meanwhile my focus
changed and right now I'm busy with other projects. I'll eventually
restart it's development. But I'm not sure it'll be a KDE project or a
simple and standalone agent, with a CLI. On the other hand, the existing
KWallet infrastructure is there, and it's working quite well.

The API was brought by Stef Walter and Michael Leupold. Michael stopped
his OSS activity AFAIK. Stef implemented the secret service API in gnome
keyring. I thought he'd reply to your mail in the other mailing list.

There's also a #secret-service IRC channel on freenode. You'll find me
there if you'd like to discuss about this.

> The last post was in May of 2012, with a post in January of 2013 from
> someone wanting to help that wasn't replied to.
>
> That's why I posted here instead of there.
>
> Is there another list for discussing it?

No

--
Valentin Rusu
IRC: valir on freenode