Starting the kdbus discussions

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Jan 1 13:11:43 PST 2014

On Monday, 2013-12-30, 04:50:21, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Sun, 29.12.13 20:42, Ted Gould (ted at gould.cx) wrote:

> > Not everyone who connects to DBus uses GDBus.  Optimizing the service
> > for a particular client library seems odd.  And it seems odd to say that
> > "this is DBus" with a different serialization format.
>
> There are nowadays pretty much exactly three bus libraries in use:
> libdbus1, gdbus and libsystemd-bus (the latter currently only used by
> systemd). The other libraries are either wrappers around libdbus1 or not
> really maintained anymore, enough that I am happy to ignore them here.

I was under the impression that the client libraries for managed languages
(e.g. C#, Java) had native implementations from socket upwards.

The author and maintainer of the Java bindings was still actively reacting to
developer questions in September, which would indicate that these bindings are
being actively used and supported.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring