Starting the kdbus discussions

Tyler Hicks tyhicks at canonical.com
Wed Jan 8 08:56:00 PST 2014

On 2014-01-08 07:04:48, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 08:12:43AM -0500, Marc Deslauriers wrote:

> > > These three you have anyway, in one way or another. (or can mostly
> > > reconstruct from the data available to the kernel, since the kernel can
> > > distuingish method calls from method replies and broadcast signals --
> > > though you cannot distuingish methods replies from method errors).

> > > Nope. This is really not how this is supposed to work. These concepts
> > > are opaque to the kernel on purpose.
> >
> > So you're not willing to change any of your design to cope with the community's
> > requirements?
>
> A meta comment here.
>
> That's not how development works.  Look at the Samsung developer's use
> of kdbus as an example of how to do things.  I kept telling them to not
> use kdbus yet as it wasn't ready, but did they listen to me?  No, they
> went and used it, and then, when they had issues with the code, they
> sent patches resolving it for them.
>
> Development works with code, not "could you please change your design to
> help with our single-use problem that isn't even implemented for dbus
> today".  Try implementing the above in the kdbus code and see how
> intrusive, and unneeded for the rest of the world to understand why we
> are objecting to this.  Maybe we are wrong, and it isn't, but we will
> never really know until you do the work...

That's a good point. I threw my proposal out there after Lennart invited
the discussion on kdbus but I should have made it clear that I fully
intended to do the work myself.

I'll start getting patches together and see if I hit any snags. I'll
also try my best to limit the added overhead on other kdbus users that
don't need this sort of functionality.

Thanks, Greg!

Tyler