Starting the kdbus discussions

Lukasz Skalski l.skalski at partner.samsung.com
Wed Jan 8 09:41:36 PST 2014

On 12/30/2013 04:50 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> Ryan is doing the porting work for gdbus, and the Samsung guys are doing
> the porting work for libdbus1. With that in place, we have support from
> all three libs.

Hi all,

As I wrote some time ago (on gtk-devel and systemd-devel mailling lists
[1]) I'm working on kdbus support for glib (gdbus). Today I've sent next
patchset to gtk-devel list. Because I added too many recipients to the
message, it still awaits moderator approval, but patchset should be
available soon here [2].

At this moment in our gdbus port we:

  - caught up all the latest kdbus changes (547501fbe005),

  - drop support for our old modified dbus-daemon - now all
    org.freedesktop.DBus methods (RequestName, ListNames, ...)
    are handled directly in glib code, so to proper work
    gdbus needs only kdbus module,

  - rebased on top of glib's master branch (38720494452)

Of course, still we have missing pieces, bu we working on it:

  - AddMatch and RemoveMatch are not implemented yet (work in
    progress),

  - support for memfd and fds,

  - switch to major protocol version 2 - it's necessary to
    preserve compatibility with libsystemd-bus,

  - fix g_dbus_connection_close_sync() - patch is ready but
    it still needs tests,

  - and some minor fix (mem leaks,...)

Code was written so as to introduce only minimal changes to current
gdbus code and leave the existing functionality and API without any
changes for end-users and applications. All basic functionality works
(sending/receiving messages, name registration, print names list, etc -
at this moment everything which don't need AddMatch method).

*At this moment project is more than 85% complete*

Here [3] you can find some simple tests for method calls and
org.freedesktop.DBus method handling for glib (repo include README file).

[1]
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2013-November/msg00062.html
[2] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2014-January/thread.html
[3] https://github.com/lukasz-skalski/glib-kdbus-tests

---
Please notice that glib-kdbus repo, which you can find on my private
GitHub is not up to date, only patchset from gtk-devel is up-to-date!

BR,
Lukasz Skalski
l.skalski at partner.samsung.com