Starting the kdbus discussions

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Thu Jan 9 02:04:18 PST 2014

On Wed, 08.01.14 02:26, John Johansen (john.johansen at canonical.com) wrote:

> > Nope. This is really not how this is supposed to work. These concepts
> It was how dbus worked.

dbus so far was not implemented implemented in part in the kernel so
far. So no, this is not how dbus has been implemented so far. The
destincition between what the kernel sees and what userspace sees did
not apply to dbus so far.

> > This really misses the point. We get rid of the XML policy because it is
> > misdesigned, and not just because we want to replace XML by somer other
> > formatting.
> >
> hrmmm it has its place, and certainly still will be an issue for some
> distros for quite a while. Being able to support this policy would be
> nice but certainly isn't the only goal.

Again, we actually do support the XML policy, however only for clients
connecting via the bus proxy, not for native kdbus clients. The old XML
policy is simply awful, it hass no place in native kdbus. Sorry. And an
LSM that implements the same fucked up policy, just in the kernel
doesn't make it any better.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat