Starting the kdbus discussions

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Thu Jan 9 04:09:14 PST 2014

On Wed, 08.01.14 02:26, John Johansen (john.johansen at canonical.com) wrote:

> no, we just disagree about what is payload and what is header information.
> One of the nice things about dbus, that gave it an advantage over using
> another ipc mechanism was that it had extra header information that was
> well defined. This allowed the bus to enforce policy on communications
> at a course api level.
>
> Without this you can't be fully compatible with the dbus spec, hence
> kdbus not supporting dbus policy

This is completely bogus... The dbus spec does not document anything
about the policy that is enforced, it does not include any suggestions
regardng how to split up headers when using a kdbus transport, and we
certainly are fully compatible with the XML policy -- but we support it
only for legacy clients connecting via sockets.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat