Starting the kdbus discussions

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Jan 10 13:55:36 PST 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 01:47:33PM -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On sexta-feira, 27 de dezembro de 2013 01:04:19, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Heya,
> >
> > We today reached a milestone in kdbus development, that we have all the
> > bits in pieces in place to boot a full system with kdbus as system bus
> > and no dbus-daemon in the mix for it. The only missing bit is policy
> > enforcement, everything else is there.
>
> Hi Lennart
>
> Do you have any performance benchmarks done already? We're all technical here
> and we understand the new architecture improvements are worth it, but have you
> measured them?

What would you recommend as a "real-world" dbus benchmark to try out?

The dbus-ping-pong one isn't real-world, but it is fast, and you can run
it in the kdbus git tree if you want to try it out.  There are also
other benchmark tests in the systemd repo that show how fast it takes to
send/receive data of different sizes across the kdbus boundry through
the systemd library wrappers.  Try those out on different machines if
you are curious as to the speeds involved.

thanks,

greg k-h