Endianness issues with systemd <-> dbus communication

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Mon Mar 10 13:06:40 PDT 2014

On Mon, 10.03.14 17:04, Fridrich Strba (fridrich.strba at suse.com) wrote:

> Actually, we have some more data-point:
>
> On both x86_64 and s390x the systemd dbus manager sends the initial
> message:
>
> type=method_call sender=n/a destination=org.freedesktop.DBus
> object=/org/freedesktop/DBus interface=org.freedesktop.DBus
> object=/org/freedesktop/DBus interface=org.freedesktop.DBus
> member=Hello cookie=1 reply_cookie=0
>
> on both s390x and x86_64 the message:
>
> type=method_return sender=org.freedesktop.DBus destination=:1.0
> object=n/a interface=n/a member=n/a cookie=1 reply_cookie=1
>
> is returned but on s390x a further message is returned
>
> type=signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus destination=:1.0
> object=/org/freedesktop/DBus interface=org.freedesktop.DBus
> member=NameAcquired cookie=2 reply_cookie=0

dbus-daemon is broken if it does *not* send this message actually...

> causing systemd dbus manager to stop this connection.

Well, what precisely is causing this? Anything in the logs if
you boot with "debug" on the kernel cmdline? If you gdb through it, any
idea where it decides to terminate the connection?

> Anybody has a clue what might be going on there?

No. And I figure that you have to figure it out, as nobody else has a
s390x around... Sorry...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat