kdbus monitoring tool

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Fri Mar 28 10:56:01 PDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Lukasz Skalski <l.skalski at samsung.com> wrote:
> On 03/28/2014 11:47 AM, VITIELLO Fabien wrote:

>> I know the question could be too early to ask but I was wondering if futur
>> tools would be available for kdbus monitoring ?
>
> Now the best option to monitor kdbus messages is test-kdbus-monitor (ships
> with kdbus sources) and Wireshark with Daniel Mack's changes:
>
> https://github.com/zonque/wireshark/tree/kdbus

For normal operation it's just:
  $ sudo busctl monitor
from a recent systemd version.

It pretty-prints messages with all attached meta data:
  http://people.freedesktop.org/~kay/busctl.png

dbus-monitor or other tools will not work unless they are explicitly
ported to the kdbus transport and know about the kernel-sepcific
monitoring interface.

Kay