Compatibility between D-Bus and kdbus

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Nov 26 09:39:11 PST 2014

> > I don't think QtDBus would need more. If as you say the new rule mechanism
> > with bloom filters is as powerful as the old one, then we'll produce
> > exactly as many rules.
>
> Well, i figure qtdbus has a way to install completely generic matches?
> Like for example a simple match being the precise string
> "arg0='foo.bar'"? If so, then this might result in two matches being
> installed. Firstly, a bloom filter match for the field in
> question. And secondly a match against NameOwnerChanged messages from
> the kernel, without bloom filter, since a match a generic as the one
> mentioned could also match against NameOwnerChanged messages.

It can do that, but the question is why it would do that. The reasons that
would trigger installing two overlapping rules would be the same in either
implementation, so if it produces two rules on kdbus, then it would also have
produced two rules for dbus1.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358