Compatibility between D-Bus and kdbus

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 04:28:56 PST 2014

On 26/11/14 18:17, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 November 2014 13:02:52 Simon McVittie wrote:
>> For existing libraries, this sounds like an argument in favour of having
>> a separate DBUS_BUS_SESSION_KDBUS (or whatever you want to call it, but
>> basically it means "allowed to be kdbus")
>
> A new environment variable? I"m not sure how that follows from the discussion.
> Can you elaborate?

No, I don't mean a new environment variable, I mean a new DBusBusType
(and the GDBus, QtDBus, etc. equivalents) alongside DBUS_BUS_SESSION
(and the GDBus, QtDBus, etc. equivalents).

The system bus certainly needs a new DBusBusType anyway, because in
general things that connect to DBUS_BUS_SYSTEM expect dbus-daemon to
enforce their security policies from /etc/dbus-1/system.d.

I initially thought the session bus didn't necessarily need this,
because in practice /etc/dbus-1/session.d isn't used; but if
compatibility with other aspects of kdbus semantics is a concern, then a
new thing alongside DBUS_BUS_SESSION as a way to opt-in to kdbus
semantics might be a necessary evil.