file descriptor passing in D-Bus: how much is actually used?

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Oct 8 07:47:23 PDT 2014

Unrelated to the actual numbers, one thing I have seen from a lot of
field reports is sudden failures when people hit limits.  Things like
appending strings dynamically as message arguments, rather than as a
single argument of "as".

The former works until you hit 255 of them, then it explodes in your
face...

Maybe emit something to the system log when an app hits ~20% of the
upper limit?  It's always ugly to log app design failures via logging,
but it gives people a chance to see something before it all falls apart.
 (There has to be other precedent here I'm sure)