relative paths in Exec= in .desktop and .service files

Jon Watte jwatte at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 12:31:44 PDT 2014

> I also fail to see how having a token is any better than declaring relative
> paths to be searched from $PWD. Can you shed more light on this suggestion?

$PWD is something that a user or administrator may change for many
different reasons, not to mention it's different per-user. Relying on this
for dbus invocation may lead to all kinds of hard-to-debug surprises and
perhaps open up attack vectors.
Tying yet-another-thing into that same environment value means that you tie
more opportunities for failure into a thing users typically fiddle with.
If the goal is to support alternative or non-standard or isolated installs
of dbus, then having one place that defines what "search start" means FOR
THAT INSTALL would be the most robust and secure solution,.
On Windows, that might be a registry value that is specific to dbus.
On Linux, that could be a symlink in /etc/alternatives, for example. (This
is an illustrative example, not a soup-to-nuts considered proposal)

However, I think the system would be simpler and more secure if relative
search just didn't exist. If the only actual, needed-right-now, reason to
introduce relative search is for Windows support, then I don't think that
use case is important enough to relax the potential security and complexify
the implementation and administration.

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas
Jefferson