How not to use dbus (in cars or anywhere else)

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Tue Aug 25 11:52:06 PDT 2015

On 25/08/15 18:56, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Are you sure the order of events are right? Wasn't the nonce-tcp created first?

    2003-03-04  Havoc Pennington  <hp at pobox.com>
       * dbus/dbus-auth.c: replace DBUS_STUPID_TEST_MECH auth
        with DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1, implement DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1

compared with

Author: Frank Osterfeld <frank at kdab.net>
Date:   2009-10-21 19:52:49 +0300

    The current state of the nonce-tcp implementation

during a batch of merging changes from dbus4win. I don't *think*
dbus4win existed yet in 2003, but I could be wrong.

> Anyway, we've been saying over and over again that D-Bus over the network is a
> bad idea. We don't support it and we don't plan on supporting it.

Right. So perhaps instead of not supporting it (as in "if it breaks you
get to keep both pieces"), 1.11 should not support it (as in ENOTSUP),
at least for some of the more egregious bits?

> If you want D-Bus over a network, maybe you should consider looking at
> AllJoyn. They've implemented authentication underneath a distributed D-Bus.

An interesting project. I'm a little disappointed that none of its
developers seem to have mentioned it on this list.

--
Simon McVittie
Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.com/>