relative paths in Exec= in .desktop and .service files

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sat Jan 3 23:51:45 PST 2015

Am 10.09.2014 um 21:31 schrieb Jon Watte:

>     I also fail to see how having a token is any better than declaring
>     relative
>     paths to be searched from $PWD. Can you shed more light on this
>     suggestion?
>

> $PWD is something that a user or administrator may change for many
> different reasons, not to mention it's different per-user. Relying on
> this for dbus invocation may lead to all kinds of hard-to-debug
> surprises and perhaps open up attack vectors.
agreed
> Tying yet-another-thing into that same environment value means that
> you tie more opportunities for failure into a thing users typically
> fiddle with.
agreed
> If the goal is to support alternative or non-standard or isolated
> installs of dbus, then having one place that defines what "search
> start" means FOR THAT INSTALL would be the most robust and secure
> solution,.
agreed
> On Windows, that might be a registry value that is specific to dbus.
Using a registry key prevents isolated dbus installations and is a no go.

For that reason dbus on windows uses from start about 10 years ago the
location of the dbus-daemon executable as search start for finding
configuration files and other, which is the requested behavior for
service files too.

Regards
 Ralf