Questions regarding dbus started via systemd --user

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jan 9 02:26:33 PST 2015

Colin Guthrie wrote on 08/01/15 11:55:
> I "solved" this by adding a user unit for gnome-termnial-server and
> making dbus use systemd activation for it, but that just moves it to a
> different cgroup. I guess it's OK like this.

Just as a minor curiosity related to this bit...

I discovered today that handing this particular process over to as
systemd --user unit is a bit broken!

It seems that gnome-terminal-server will exit when the last
gnome-terminal dies. If you have started any programs in the background
in the terminal (xeyes&, or even screen) and then close all your
gnome-terminal processes, the main process of the cgroup becomes empty
and then all the child processes are (correctly) reaped by systemd --user

Fun!

The screen example is a tough one here tho' with gnome-terminal-server.
Since I removed it's own systemd unit, it will now live in the dbus
daemon's cgroup and depending when the daemon dies, it not survive a
logout... will have to check that! Might be OK tho'.

Playing with systemd --user is fun :)

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie
http://colin.guthr.ie/