Synchronous method in asynchronous signal callback

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue May 26 12:01:37 PDT 2015

On Tuesday 26 May 2015 19:27:48 Simon McVittie wrote:
> Hence my tendency to recommend "if you can, use GLib or similar; if you
> think you can't, reconsider your constraints before proceeding" over
> reinventing it for the nth time.

And I'm going to echo this. Remember: I'm a C++ developer and wouldn't choose
C for a project unless I had to.

If you're going to write anything non-trivial in C, PLEASE do us all a favour
and use Glib.

Please don't reinvent the wheel, poorly. Please don't write your hashing
algorithms which aren't optimal. Please don't introduce security holes by not
parsing UTF-8 overlong sequences properly. Please don't write your mainloops
that don't do synchronised systemwide wakeups to save power. Please don't
write libraries that fail to handle EINTR properly or that leak file
descriptors due to failure to use O_CLOEXEC & family.

PS: C++ Standard Library has hashing tables, but none of the rest I talked
about either.
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358