dbus_bus_get(DBUS_BUS_SESSION, &error) hangs indefinitely on OS X

Rick Mann rmann at latencyzero.com
Thu Oct 15 00:37:04 PDT 2015

> On Oct 15, 2015, at 00:30 , René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday October 14 2015 23:07:30 Rick Mann wrote:
>> Calling dbus_bus_get(DBUS_BUS_SESSION, &error) on OS X 10.10.5, dbus_bus_get(DBUS_BUS_SESSION, &error) hangs indefinitely. This is in code that used to work, and for some reason has stopped. I haven't worked with this project for some time, but as far as I can tell, haven't made any changes that should affect this.
>
> This may be unrelated, but what was the last OS X version you know this worked as expected?

Oh, for sure it worked on 10.10.0/10.10.1.

IIRC, it has always hung if my node.js server wasn't running. But it's running now, and it's still hanging.

I'm not sure if dbus-daemon is the "server" (in the DBus connection sense) and both my apps are clients, or if one of my apps is supposed to be the server, and the other the client. I only need these two apps to communicate, so I can possibly use a different bus type. I'd prefer to not require one to be launched before the other, but I can, if necessary. It just complicates development to have to have both running.

Thanks,

--
Rick Mann
rmann at latencyzero.com