dbus-monitor --session question

Thomas Downing tdowning at bomgar.com
Tue Oct 20 12:33:47 PDT 2015

Sad newbie question:

With dbus-1 version 1.8.20, "dbus-monitor --session" only shows a small subset
of messages.  Adding a filter doesn't change things.

There is no /etc/dbus-l/session-local.conf, nor any files in
/etc/dbus-1/session.d. There is no SELinux enabled, nor does
contexts/dbus_contexts exist.

/etc/dbus-1/session.conf contains:

  <auth>EXTERNAL</auth>

  <policy context="default">
    <!-- Allow everything to be sent -->
    <allow send_destination="*" eavesdrop="true"/>
    <!-- Allow everything to be received -->
    <allow eavesdrop="true"/>
    <!-- Allow anyone to own anything -->
    <allow own="*"/>
  </policy>

I haven't made any changes, the file is as-shipped by Debian 8.2.  This is the
only <policy> block in the file.

Obviously I am missing something; sadly, probably something I once knew....

Thanks

Thomas Downing