by default in /var and not in /usr/var/ ?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Oct 23 12:53:28 PDT 2015

On Friday 23 October 2015 16:02:13 linuxcbon linuxcbon wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Simon McVittie
>
> <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> > The GNU Coding Standards, and the defaults in Autoconf that result from
> > those standards, make --localstatedir (and all other configurable
> > directories) default to a path below --prefix. This is not something
> > that D-Bus configures; we just use it.
>
>   you mean, GNU standard is /usr/var/ and not /var/ ?

The GNU Autoconf default is /usr/local/var, since the default prefix is
/usr/local.

> Where did you get that from ? /usr/var/ has never been standard. It's
> /var/ the standard.

Which is why everyone who builds an autotools-based project with --prefix=/usr
also passes --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc.

That's the standard.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358