DBus service for screenshots.

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Fri Sep 25 04:54:38 PDT 2015

On 24/09/15 23:54, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> On 24 September 2015 at 23:25, Boudhayan Gupta <bgupta at kde.org> wrote:
>> The service we've implemented is called org.freedesktop.Screenshot
>> (we're using the freedesktop namespace because we truly want the
>> service to be DE or platform agnostic).
>
> Commendable spirit, but that's not how it works — we've been bitten by
> this in the past already. Please, use org.kde.* for your DBus
> interfaces, and *then* propose a org.freedesktop.* interface up for
> discussion. Otherwise you'll have to start versioning your own methods
> because any shared interface will likely not map to what you expose
> right now.

Yes, this. It's great that you're proposing cross-desktop collaboration
on how taking screenshots works, but please don't present something that
has already been designed as a fait accompli.

The way I see it is:

* if you are a freedesktop.org subproject with a "branded" name
  (D-Bus, Telepathy, Tracker, etc.), you can use any name in the
  namespace of that "brand", e.g. the Telepathy developers can use
  o.fd.Telepathy.Anything without further discussion;

* but generic "unbranded" names like o.fd.Screenshot should be
  discussed on xdg-list, regardless of who is implementing them.

(It's probably also a good idea for new fd.o interfaces to have a
versioned name, like o.fd.Screenshot1; see
<http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-api-design.html> for some guidelines.)

The dbus mailing list is mainly about how the D-Bus "plumbing" works,
rather than the specifics of what people do with it.

--
Simon McVittie
Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.com/>