Core dump in dbus_message_iter_recurse

Mihut, Florin florin.mihut at intel.com
Thu Feb 18 16:33:13 UTC 2016

Hi,

                I have a strange problem with on with dbus in 1.8.20. In dbus 1.8.10 everything works fine but not with the newer version.
                The application coredumps in the moment I receive any property change.

                Basically, if I get a property change I do parse:

1.       Interface name, then next to

2.       Array type, then recurse

3.       While Dict entry valid, first recurse

4.       Property name, as string, I can see is valid, next

5.       Check that the type is variant, it is, so far everything looks fine.

6.       Try to recurse because I know that the variant contains an int16 (after recurse I try to get it with dbus_message_iter_get_basic after I check that the type is valid). In the dbus_message_iter_recurse  call I get a SEF FAULT.

#0  _dbus_type_reader_recurse (reader=0x7ffff3fd94e0, sub=0x7ffff3fd9490) at /usr/src/debug/dbus/1.8.20-r0/dbus-1.8.20/dbus/dbus-marshal-recursive.c:1018
        klass = <optimized out>
        t = <optimized out>

SEG FAULT in dbus_message_iter_recurse, line 1018 basically when is trying to dereference if (reader->klass<https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/api/html/structDBusTypeReader.html#a238bd0d5a30d8f59fd9b71c95af25563>->types_only<https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/api/html/structDBusTypeReaderClass.html#ad886037cd736e6f5cdbefb834b0bd5e7>)

I don't know enough from internals of dbus to figure out what could cause this error!
Is there a known error with 1.8.20 to this regard?
Even a hint could be helpful because I am running out of ideas what could cause the error.

Thank you for support,
Florin Mihut
Intel Deutschland GmbH
Tel: +49 89 99 8853-0, www.intel.de
Managing Directors: Christin Eisenschmid, Christian Lamprechter
Registered Office: Munich