kernel traps

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 10:28:01 UTC 2016

On Monday July 04 2016 10:32:50 Simon McVittie wrote:

> If XDG_DATA_DIRS is set but does not contain at least /usr/share, then
> you have probably broken a lot of the software you received from your
> distribution (in your case Kubuntu). For instance, a system-wide (/usr)

Thanks for confirming that. I'm still surprised this situation could have occurred. I can't believe that a KDE startup script would be called without XDG_DATA_DIRS already set to its (distribution) default, but in that case my .cshrc must have been called with XDG_DATA_DIRS defined but empty (csh treats env. variables like pointers, so attempting to get the value of an undefined variable is an error, which forces you to do an existence check before appending to a variable).

> programming error (the GLib library and the GLib schemas are always
> meant to go together) so it will typically result in a crash.

Still, glib should probably use an assert rather than dereference a null pointer as it does now...

> On something as old as Kubuntu 14.04, you're presumably not using
> Wayland or Mir, so /etc/X11/Xsession.d would probably work.

Indeed, it looks like that's where the defaults are currently being set. I missed that location somehow.

R.