kernel traps

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 09:49:34 UTC 2016

On 04/07/16 11:28, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> I can't believe that a KDE startup script would be called
> without XDG_DATA_DIRS already set to its (distribution) default

There is no guarantee that XDG_DATA_DIRS is ever set at all. There is
only a default value mandated by its specification, which all users of
that variable are expected to use if it is unset. Its users are all
expected to use something equivalent to this pseudocode:

    if XDG_DATA_DIRS is set:
        dirs = XDG_DATA_DIRS.split(":")
    else:
        dirs = ["/usr/local/share", "/usr/share"]

For example, "${XDG_DATA_DIRS:-/usr/local/share:/usr/share}" is usually
the right thing in Bourne-derived shells.

> but in that case my .cshrc must have been called [...]

I would strongly recommend not using or relying on csh for any
non-interactive use such as login scripts or programming.

https://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/misc/csh.html

If your preferred interactive shell is csh or zsh, that's fine, you can
use that as your interactive shell; but non-interactive environments
like login to a graphical session will typically use the standard POSIX
shell (/bin/sh), so you cannot rely on anything csh- or zsh-specific there.

Simon McVittie
Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.com/>