DBus on "other" platforms

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri May 13 07:47:57 UTC 2016

On Thursday May 12 2016 17:37:19 Rick Mann wrote:

More than just a bit OT, but

>> Thanks to projects like Fink and MacPorts
>
>One more thing I'd point out: I *much* prefer MacHomebrew (http://brew.sh/) to Fink or MacPorts. Having Formulae in homebrew is very helpful.

Tastes differ. I've never understood the appeal of HB, the fact it (almost?) forcibly installs into /usr/local (where I already have stuff), does (AFAIK) voodooish stuff with symlinks. In short, I already had MacPorts installed, and had already been investing in learning its internals for having my own ports when I learned about HB. I have no idea what those formulae really are, but there's only 1 thing you really cannot do (easily) in MacPorts and that's splitting up a project into different packages (build once, install what you need when you need). Additional stuff like port de/activation (= switch easily between versions or variants), the dependency checker that also catches dynload issues and "trace" mode that blocks access to anything that's not a known dependency during a build are helpful enough not to want to change. Even if discussions with the core maintainers can be somewhat frustrating when they touch official dogma. I find it powerful and flexible enough that I tweaked it for use on Linux; I use the same personal ports tree on OS X and my KDE4-desktop Linux rig to install Qt5 and a growing chunk of KF5 into /opt/local .

I've considered going back to Fink, but knowing the Debian build system they use and the prospect of having to convert all my ports will probably keep me from doing that.
R.