DBus on "other" platforms

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat May 14 18:27:29 UTC 2016

On Thursday May 12 2016 14:10:49 Simon McVittie wrote:

Hi,

> According to the research that I did last time I looked into this, OS X
> has at least getpeereid(), so it should be possible to support it in
> g_socket_get_credentials(). Since it has FreeBSD ancestry (I think?) it

Actually, it seems rather that OS X and FreeBSD have a common ancestor. They're close, but

> might well also be able to support G_CREDENTIALS_TYPE_FREEBSD_CMSGCRED

the code for this doesn't compiler because of missing definitions like struct cmsgcred .
Curiously that struct is defined in /usr/include/sys/socket.h, but in a #ifndef __APPLE__ block.

OS X *does* have a version of ucred, so for a second I thought it might be possible to adapt the LINUX_UCRED code.
However, sys/ucred.h is rather unambiguous about struct ucred:

 * Note that this structure should not be used outside the kernel, nor should
 * it or copies of it be exported outside.

R.