DBus on "other" platforms

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon May 16 11:23:23 UTC 2016

On 13/05/16 21:42, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> That was rather simple, actually. Since I'm trying all this with
> the MacPorts build I am working with a build directory that has
> a somewhat crazy long path, which apparently shouldn't be used
> for creating sockets. Using the configure option
> --with-test-socket-dir=/tmp solved this.

Right, that's what that option is there for. Let's consider this resolved.

> Now I'm seeing
>
> %> test/test-dbus-daemon
> /creds: OK

That's not what I asked you to do. Please run it with the --tap option
to see the optional verbose messages that I mentioned, prefixed with "#".

Note that when you are not running it in the special tests environment,
this test will run a copy of the normal dbus-daemon from your $PATH, and
not the one you just compiled; similarly, it'll use your normal
(installed) session.conf, not a local one that hopefully only has
EXTERNAL enabled. If you are testing a special local compile of dbus you
can use:

    DBUS_TEST_DAEMON=$(pwd)/bus/dbus-daemon \
    DBUS_TEST_DATA=$(pwd)/test/data \
    test/test-dbus-daemon --tap

or perhaps more simply

    make -C test check-TESTS TESTS=test-dbus-daemon VERBOSE=1

> /processid: **
> ERROR:dbus-daemon.c:548:test_processid: assertion failed (error.name == DBUS_ERROR_UNIX_PROCESS_ID_UNKNOWN): ("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs" == "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnixProcessIdUnknown")
> Abort
> Exit 134

This is getting more in-depth. Could you open a bug report on
<https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=dbus&component=core>
for this part, please?

Editing test/dbus-daemon.c to include something like

    g_printerr ("%s: %s\n", error.name, error.message);

just before that assertion would probably let you provide more useful
information here. I would prefer that change not to be permanent since
it would make that test unnecessarily "noisy" on platforms where
fetching a process ID legitimately fails.

--
Simon McVittie
Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.com/>