Announcing D-Bus 1.11.8
simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Tue Nov 29 00:45:02 UTC 2016
The “panics in the face of breakfast foods” release. This is a
development release, in the branch leading to future D-Bus 1.12.x
git tag: dbus-1.11.8
• The new --enable-debug configure option provides an easy way to
enable debug symbols, disable optimization and/or enable profiling.
• The --enable-compile-warnings configure option can be used to control
• The --disable-compiler-optimisations configure option is no longer
supported. Use --enable-debug=yes or CFLAGS=-O0 instead.
• D-Bus Specification version 0.30
· Define the jargon term "activation" more clearly
· Define the jargon term "auto-starting", which is one form of
· Document the optional SystemdService key in service files
· Use versioned interface and bus names in most examples
· Clarify intended behaviour of Properties.GetAll
(fd.o #36190, fd.o #98671; Philip Withnall, Simon McVittie)
• Fix and enable a lot of compiler warnings to improve future code
quality. This might incidentally also fix some environment variable
accesses on OS X.
· In particular, printf-style functions in the libdbus API are now
annotated with __attribute__((__format__(__printf__, *, *))) when
compiling with gcc or clang. This might make printf bugs in other
software visible at compile time.
(fd.o #97357, fd.o #98192, fd.o #98195, fd.o #98658;
Thomas Zimmermann, Simon McVittie)
• When running with AppArmor mediation (for example using Ubuntu's
patched Linux kernel), clients can no longer auto-start services
unless they would have been able to send the auto-starting message to
the service after it starts. StartServiceByName() is unaffected, and
continues to be allowed by default in AppArmor's
<abstractions/dbus-strict> and <abstractions/dbus-session-strict>.
(fd.o #98666, Simon McVittie)
• Work around an undesired effect of the fix for CVE-2014-3637
(fd.o #80559), in which processes that frequently send fds, such as
logind during a flood of new PAM sessions, can get disconnected for
continuously having at least one fd "in flight" for too long;
dbus-daemon interprets that as a potential denial of service attack.
The workaround is to disable that check for uid 0 process such as
logind, with a message in the system log. The bug remains open while
we look for a more general solution.
(fd.o #95263, LP#1591411; Simon McVittie)
• Don't run the test test-dbus-launch-x11.sh if X11 autolaunching
was disabled at compile time. That test is not expected to work
in that configuration. (fd.o #98665, Simon McVittie)
Simon McVittie, Collabora Ltd.
on behalf of the D-Bus maintainers
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 878 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
More information about the dbus