about using privileged (KAuth) helpers: system dbus daemon on OS X?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 23:48:04 UTC 2016

On Monday September 19 2016 14:44:09 Thiago Macieira wrote:

> MacPorts and HomeBrew need to select software that has been ported to run on a
> Mac. For example, any software that depends on systemd or journald will not
> compile and will not run on macOS, so MacPorts should not include them.

Well, evidently only software is included that compiles out of the box or only requires minimal changes.

> macOS also has some privilege separation and integrity protection systems that
> you neeed to take into account. So it's not the regular BSD APIs.

Those are separate things that basically dictate what even the root user can do. But an operation that requires root access will still require root access - after root has been enabled to perform that operation.

> PS: Apple renamed their OS. It's now called "macOS".

I know. It's fugly but fortunately from 10.12 onwards. The version I run hasn't renamed itself :)

> And if a macOS is so Unix, why can't you start it at boot like on a regular
> BSD?

You could, I guess. Maybe that's even what launchd is going to do...