dbus-run-session output.

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Tue Apr 11 11:02:21 UTC 2017

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 at 08:44:41 -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Correct, the systemd user unit does not fill in ~/.dbus/session-bus.
> >
> > I would really prefer not to keep that mechanism forever
>
> The file is the only way to get session bus information from regular scripts.

With the user bus model, you don't need session bus information as long
as you have a valid XDG_RUNTIME_DIR, because finding the session bus
from the XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is deterministic.

I wish those files had been treated as the implementation detail and
dbus-launch --autolaunch had been the API (because people get more upset
about polluting their home directories than their $PATH), but we're 10 years
too late for that. The next best thing IMO is for those files to not be
necessary for systems where the OS integrator or the sysadmin has made
the (hopefully informed!) decision to opt-in to the user bus model.