dbus_bus_get_private return NULL but with no error set

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Apr 25 14:32:02 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 25 April 2017 10:31:34 -03 prashantkumar dhotre wrote:
> >Is the system bus even running on your system?
>
> I dont know if system bus is running at that point of time i.e
> dbus_bus_get_private() is called too soon before system bus started
> running.
> I am not sure.
> How do i find out  using any dbus API ?

If you see dbus-daemon --system somewhere in your system, it's running. If
it's not running, fix your system.

The system daemon cannot be autostarted. Systemd has a complex way of starting
it at boot it, but the discussion is not relevant here. If you depend on how/
when systemd starts it, then please take the discussion to the systemd mailing
lists.