[ANNOUNCE] D-Bus Broker Project

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Aug 23 18:26:27 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 23 August 2017 10:40:20 PDT Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017, at 09:06 AM, David Herrmann wrote:
> > This is the first public release of dbus-broker.
> >
> >     Git Tag: v3
> >     Archive:
> >     https://github.com/bus1/dbus-broker/archive/v3/dbus-broker-v3.tar.gz>
> > The dbus-broker project is an implementation of a message bus as
> > defined by the D-Bus specification. Its aim is to provide high
> > performance and reliability, while keeping compatibility to the D-Bus
> > reference implementation.
>
> Sounds cool, I'd need some more time to really sit down to understand
> it, but in the meantime I have just one random quick question:
>
> Have you given any thought to addressing the idle exit issues?
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2015-May/016671.html

I'm interested in how you solved the total ordering problem in a triangle (or
bigger polygon).

- Connections A, B, C.
- A sends a message to B and then to C
- B receives its message from A and because of that, sends a message to C
- C receives both messages

D-Bus currently guarantees that C will see A's message before B's message. In
the C11/C++11 memory model, this is called "sequential consistent" and is
different from a regular acquire/release barrier.

The blog indicates that you've thought of this problem and have solved it,
without sacrificing the peerness. I'm interested in how.

Also interested in how you determine what's unsolicited for directed signals.