Launch e.g. notification-daemon as needed?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 09:19:08 UTC 2017

On Tuesday August 29 2017 10:03:36 Simon McVittie wrote:

>The org.freedesktop.Notifications interface is a special case. You
>can't necessarily rely on implementations of it being activatable,
>because it's very desktop-specific, with each desktop wanting to
>provide its own UX - GNOME 3, Cinnamon and KDE Plasma Desktop have an
>implementation of Notifications built into the GUI shell alongside the
>window manager etc., while MATE, LXQT and XFCE have their own preferred
>daemons as separate packages. The desktops like LXDE that (prefer to)
>use a generic implementation are now relatively rare.

A propos, I've been looking to find something for this that works reliably on Mac, when using applications that "talk" that freedesktop protocol. It works for KDE applications running in native ("Cocoa") mode, but much less for applications running under X11. I'm esp. missing a systray equivalent.
I currently use the XCFE window manager under XQuartz with the accompanying xfce-panel, which is supposed to provide a systray widget. Apparently it tries, but it always remains empty.

I've learnt to do without, but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
R.