Unexpected gdbus behaviour during PAM authentication

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 11:35:15 UTC 2017

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 at 16:47:21 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> GDBus's threads and PAM really don't mix. You'll need to either use
> something like dbus-glib, which is single-threaded and sync, move your
> D-Bus code to a small helper you'd talk to over Unix sockets (yeah, I
> know...), or wait until PAM dies.

Please don't use dbus-glib, particularly for security-sensitive code.
It is unmaintained (I am its unmaintainer) and has several bits of
irretrievably bad design.

Single-threaded alternatives to dbus-glib include:

- dbus' libdbus used directly (it's a verbose low-level API, but still
  less bad than dbus-glib's inconvenience layer over it)

- systemd's sd-bus (Linux-specific)

Regards,