dbus: Removing unmaintained distro-specific init scripts

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Thu Jul 6 15:55:10 UTC 2017

On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 at 16:52:36 +0200, David Sommerseth wrote:
> On 06/07/17 14:56, David King wrote:
> > Similarly, in Fedora and RHEL, the init script is removed as part of the
> > build process, so the "redhat" init script has probably not been used
> > for many years.
>
> Does this also account for RHEL6, which is _not_ systemd based?

As long as RHEL6 sticks to whichever stable-branch of dbus it's currently
using, this change (like any other change that only touches the current
development branch and future stable branches) won't affect it.

https://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=dbus suggests that
CentOS 6 (and hence presumably its RHEL parent) is still on dbus-1.2.x.
Given how long-term-support distributions work, I would expect it to
stay on some suitably security-patched version of dbus-1.2 for the rest
of its support lifetime. We don't support that branch upstream any more,
but RHEL developers are welcome to backport fixes to it, and I can arrange
for people to get git commit access if enterprise distributions want to
cooperate on collecting those fixes in the upstream dbus-1.2 branch.

The same is true for the rest of the unsupported branches. I will continue
to backport security fixes to 1.8.x for a while, because I need to do
that for Debian 8 anyway; when I stop, others are welcome to take over.