Docs/exmples on interconnecting dbus on 2 systems so they can function together

L A Walsh dbus at tlinx.org
Sat Jun 17 19:43:56 UTC 2017

I have a "split" machine as I term it -- with my
desktop on one box (a winbox) that focuses on grahpics
and a win-application set.

The "backend" (a linbox) runs everything else and functions as
a server to the desktop -- file storage, backup, user-authentication,
(running a win2K compat domain via samba), mail, web-proxy,
network-routing and isolation, etc.

They are connected via a direct cable (so encryption not
needed or wanted). Both machines run system & user dbus's
that I'd like to have connected & function as 1 machine.

Are there any examples or documentation on interconnecting
dbus's on different machines to function more as one, "extended
bus", or how would I connect them?  Has anyone else tried
this or gotten this to work?

Primarily wanting apps running on the linbox be able to
invoke/talk to apps running on the winbox, so, for example,
if a linux-app wanted to open a URL in a browser, the winbox
would field the request rather than it bringing up a browser
on the linux-box that displays via 'X' on the winbox.

There are other little nits, like email links coming up on
the Winbox, or file-editor launching natively on linux for
most things (or maybe based on path).

Part of my problem has been defining a "session", or when
a session starts -- and I'm thinking maybe I can combine a
dbus session creation with my starting 'X' on the winbox (?)

Certainly the linux box is not the place a session starts, as
it stays up for weeks-months serving multiple windows sessions
created after win's many reboots.

Ideas?  Pointers?
Thanks for leads/examples, etc...
Linda