dbus message not received at client from server

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Thu Nov 23 20:11:42 UTC 2017

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 12:51:23 -0700, Calvin Lee wrote:

> Perhaps this should be mentioned in documentation somewhere, because
> it was not obvious to me and I dealt with this problem as well.

The doc for dbus_connection_dispatch()
<https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/api/html/group__DBusConnection.html#ga66ba7df50d75f4bda6b6e942430b81c7>
says quite clearly “A single call to dbus_connection_dispatch() will
process at most one message; it will not clear the entire message
queue”. And that for the result type
<https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/api/html/group__DBusConnection.html#gabf250a32ff740b2a8c99136e0142d8d2>
says for the DBUS_DATA_REMAINS return code: “There is more data to
potentially convert to messages”.

It’s obvious it was designed this way to avoid hogging your application
event loop.