Announcing dbus 1.13.4
smcv at collabora.com
Mon Apr 30 16:51:23 UTC 2018
The “parsimonious topping” release.
This is still a development branch for the adventurous, and comes with a
risk of regressions. OS distributions should stay with the 1.12.x branch,
unless they can commit to following the 1.13.x branch until it reaches
a 1.14.0 stable release at an unspecified point in the future.
git tag: dbus-1.13.4
• All Windows builds now require Windows Vista or later.
(Note that we do not recommend or support use of dbus on operating
systems outside their vendor's security support lifetime, such as Vista.)
• D-Bus Specification v0.33
· Be clearer about the security properties of TCP transports, which
have no integrity or confidentiality protection and so should not
normally be used, except via the loopback interface on Windows
(fd.o #106004, Simon McVittie)
• On Linux 4.13 or later, <policy group="…"> now uses the SO_PEERGROUPS
credentials-passing socket option to get the effective group IDs
of the initiator of the connection. On platforms where that socket
option is not available, dbus-daemon continues to look up the
connection's user ID in the system user and group databases and
assume that it has the groups that would have been granted by
initgroups(). (fd.o #103737, #97821; Simon McVittie)
• If the dbus-daemon is compiled for Linux with systemd support, it
now informs systemd that it is ready for use via the sd_notify()
mechanism. (fd.o #104641; Michal Sekletar, Simon McVittie)
• Several environment variables set by systemd are no longer passed
on to activated services (fd.o #104641, Simon McVittie)
• Failing to bind a TCP socket to an address produces better error
messages. (fd.o #61922; Simon McVittie, Ralf Habacker)
• Windows builds now set the SO_REUSEADDR and TCP_NODELAY options on
TCP sockets (as Unix builds already did), which should improve
robustness and performance (fd.o #61922, Ralf Habacker)
• Windows executables built with cmake have version information.
When building for Windows with Autotools, only libdbus-1-3.dll
has version information, matching previous behaviour with cmake.
(fd.o #103387, Ralf Habacker)
• The Devhelp documentation index is now in version 2 format
(fd.o #106186, Simon McVittie)
• Give the dbus-daemon man page some scarier warnings about
<allow_anonymous/> and non-local TCP, which are insecure and should
not be used, particularly for the standard system and session buses
(fd.o #106004, Simon McVittie)
• Listening on TCP sockets copes better with IPv6 being disabled
(fd.o #61922; Ralf Habacker, Simon McVittie)
• Fix installation of Ducktype documentation with newer yelp-build
versions (fd.o #106171, Simon McVittie)
• The _DBUS_GNUC_WARN_UNUSED_RESULT macro has been replaced with
_DBUS_WARN_UNUSED_RESULT, which is effective with gcc, clang and MSVC
(with cl.exe /analyze). Note that for MSVC compatibility, it must
appear before the return type in function declarations, whereas the
older macro could also have appeared after the arguments.
(fd.o #105460; Daniel Wendt, Ralf Habacker)
Simon McVittie, Collabora Ltd.
More information about the dbus