Also: Invalid error messages out of 'dbus'...how to suppress?

L A Walsh dbus at tlinx.org
Tue Dec 18 08:05:27 UTC 2018

Besides the other error msg, there is also this one at login
on the console by root:

dbus[62587]: Unable to set up transient service directory:
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR "/var/run/user/0" can be written by others (mode 041770)
dbus[62587]: Unable to set up transient service directory:
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR "/var/run/user/0" can be written by others (mode 041770)

Looks like only root has access:

drwxrwx--T 2 root root 6 Aug 26  2016 /var/run/user/0/

Admittedly there are work-arounds, but should it be necessary
to have 'gid2uid' auto-promote those with the file's gid to
the uid by the same number to get around programs that break
gid security?  Note, I setup my 'id' to use the same number
for uid and gid -- allows a much more flexible access policy
than uid-alone.

This is much worse than the other one, which can be worked
around.  This one is at login, so hard to work around.