Fwd: What would be a valid D-Bus interface name for a project without domain?

Miroslav Kravec kravec.miroslav at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 12:59:13 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 3:59 PM, Simon McVittie <smcv at collabora.com> wrote:
>> However, this would tie the project to the GitHub. GitHub is friendly to
>> open-source projects, but still I don't like idea to tie some identifier to git
>> hosting provider.
>
> I would recommend choosing some hosting provider (GitHub, GitLab,
> Bitbucket or similar, or a Linux distribution like Debian or Fedora, or
> maybe freedesktop.org) and getting a domain name via them; or buying a
> domain name for your project and using it for your project's website too.

Probably the best solution is to buy a domain. But, I quite don't like
an idea to buy a domain for completely-non-profit FOSS project.

>> So, I though of project-name.InterfaceName as the name for the interface. The
>> project already is packaged as project-name in various distributions, therefore
>> there won't be naming collision. However, this isn't "scoped" under some
>> domain. But, specification doesn't use word must but it says should. Therefore,
>> is it a valid interface name?
>
> It is syntactically valid, but semantically not a great idea.
>
>> Or, is there other approach for projects without a dedicated domain?
>
> What do Java developers do in this situation? D-Bus borrowed the reversed
> domain name convention from there.
>
> What do Android app-store app developers do in this situation? It has
> a very similar namespacing model.

Usually, Java projects are commercial ones, therefore owner has got
registered domain. Or, they are large open-source projects like
Spring, or they are open-source projects released by a company, or
they are under The Apache Software Foundation, or they are released as
mini tools by individual developers having their own domain
registered.

I haven't met publicly released Java project without having a domain.

But, the project I'm working on is "scoped" under github organisation,
which has got the same name, as is name of the project. There were
multiple developers involved in the past.