What would be a valid D-Bus interface name for a project without domain?

rony rony at wu.ac.at
Wed Jan 24 18:26:37 UTC 2018

On 24.01.2018 19:16, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 10:16:52 +0000, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
>
>> On 23 January 2018 at 21:01, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <ldo at geek-central.gen.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> How about assigning a subdomain of org.freedesktop?
>>> org.freedesktop.dbus, say.
>> The org.freedesktop.* namespace should be reserved for FreeDesktop.Org
>> projects, not for random projects. It's especially important because
>> DBus interfaces reside on the org.freedesktop.* namespace.
> Yes, naturally that would apply to org.freedesktop.dbus (which is
> already used for interface names and bus names as part of the D-Bus
> spec, which I forgot). But what about a subdomain of that?
> “org.freedesktop.dbus.random.«whatever»”, say, or
> “org.freedesktop.dbus.unassigned.«whatever»”.
>
> Or how about the good old “X-” prefix?
> “org.freedesktop.x-dbus.«whatever»”?
If your aim is to come up with a unique domain name that is unlikely to be name-clashed, then why
not use your own name as part of such a domain, maybe something like
"personal.lawrence.doliveiro.dbus.*" or "personal.l.d.oliveiro.dbussy.*" or maybe "oss.dbussy.*"?

If you wish to use "org.freedesktop" the question would be: why is it important for you to use that
domain, is that domain really necessary for your library to work?

---rony