How about employing <anything> (now: TLS, later?)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Jul 16 04:50:19 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 15 July 2018 15:30:53 PDT L A Walsh wrote:
> > No, but a car and a train are quite different from one another.
>
> Certainly, but if the car could only go between train stations, and the
> train wouldn't carry anything larger than the car could...

Well, the point is that they don't, so car and train are quite different. D-
Bus and AllJoyn may be quite different after the fork due to different
objectives.

> I.e. What types of things were different from what you wanted -- NOT
> from what
> they added on top of what you wanted.  I.e. you mention TLS and
> inter-computer
> authentication...if those functions were compiled out, how would their
> product
> differ from yours -- would they most be things that could be turned off
> because you didn't need them?  Or another way to phrase it -- is there
> stuff mostly
> a superset of what you needed (or vice-versa).  If one was a strict
> superset/subset of the other, obviously that makes things easiest.

I don't know, and this is after a couple of years interacting with AllJoyn
people. They never approached us (D-Bus community) and talked about those
things, so we never got a good analysis and discussion on how to keep
compatibility, much less keep a single code base.

I'm not going to speculate further.