D-Bus across networks?

Felipe Gasper felipe at felipegasper.com
Fri Nov 16 00:33:04 UTC 2018

Has there been much thought given to promoting D-Bus as a general means of RPC and messaging beyond individual machines?

A while ago I took up an interest in WAMP, a protocol originally meant to sit atop WebSocket as a means of doing much the same tasks that D-Bus fulfills: centrally-routed pub/sub and RPC. It occurs to me lately that much of what D-Bus does is the same pair of workflows. D-Bus has a maturity and widespread deployment that WAMP does not have, though.

I know D-Bus *can* work over TCP to facilitate this kind of workflow, but I’ve not read much about D-Bus’s actually being widely used in that way.

-FG