How about employing <anything> (now: TLS, later?)

L A Walsh dbus at tlinx.org
Wed Sep 12 04:40:08 UTC 2018

On 8/1/2018 7:19 AM, Simon McVittie wrote:

> That's fine up to a point, but dbus-daemon can't tell the difference
> between your secure network, my local coffee shop's hostile environment,
> and Jeep's expensive recall. Experience demonstrates that, unfortunately,
> anything that is possible will tend to be treated as fully supported,
> and not making insecure configurations harder to achieve seems like an
> abdication of responsibility.

----

    And why can't it tell?  MS defines network connections into 3 groups as
you may be aware: Private, Public & Work (Domain).  It is the
responsibility of the user to set their network type.  Microsoft doesnt'
fret or
worry about how bad it would be for for a user to specify a private network
in the coffee shop.  Setting the type if pretty central to setting up your
network connection.  When you connect somewhere, Windows will look around
at what routers are available, how  to get to the internet, etc.  If it
finds
something out of place, it allocates a new UUID for it and asks the user to
identify it.  It prompts the user for permission to set all unknown or new
networks to 'public' where stricter rules can apply.

    If MS can rely on correct network classification, why are linux users
not capable of being responsible for the same?