multiple services per client?

Felipe Gasper felipe at felipegasper.com
Mon Feb 18 21:55:34 UTC 2019

> On Feb 18, 2019, at 4:12 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 13:44:30 -0500, Felipe Gasper wrote:
>
>>> On Feb 18, 2019, at 1:30 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>>> <ldo at geek-central.gen.nz> wrote:
>>>
>>> You mean two different services use interface name A to mean
>>> different things?
>>
>> I’m not sure what you mean by “different”, but it would be something
>> like org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable, which almost everything
>> implements.
>
> But they are all supposed to implement it to mean the same thing: “tell
> me what interfaces you support on this object”.

To flesh it out a bit more:

Let’s say I’m running services A and B on the same connection. How would I introspect objects on these services? I can’t distinguish between the services based on the interface because it’s the same interface. So the two services would basically need to share the same object-path namespace, in which case they’re basically the same service.

If the message recipient were to receive the same DESTINATION that the sender gave, it would be possible to have multiple services because whatever “broker” logic divvies up the messages between services A and B could simply sort by DESTINATION.

<shrug>

-F