Why DESTINATION?

Felipe Gasper felipe at felipegasper.com
Thu Feb 21 04:52:18 UTC 2019

> On Feb 20, 2019, at 11:37 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
>
> On Monday, 18 February 2019 04:31:43 PST Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> So, it's relevant when a client sends a message, but it's indeed not
>> too interesting when a client recvs a message.
>
> A client could (but should not) do some kind of "name virtual host" by
> reacting differently depending on the called service name.

Actually, I don’t think that’s possible because of the behaviour being described: dbus-daemon doesn’t pass the called service name to the recipient; the DESTINATION that dbus-daemon sends is just the recipient’s unique name. The recipient has no way to know what name the sender gave as DESTINATION.

-F