.dbus folder

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Fri Mar 15 10:02:10 UTC 2019

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 20:59:31 -0400, Ralph Palmer wrote:

> I'm new to this. I have a folder which appeared recently, named
> .dbus

It is mentioned in the dbus-launch(1) man page
<https://linux.die.net/man/1/dbus-launch>:

    If DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is not set for a process that tries to
    use D-Bus, by default the process will attempt to invoke
    dbus-launch with the --autolaunch option to start up a new session
    bus or find the existing bus address on the X display or in a file
    in ~/.dbus/session-bus/

In my own home directory, it contains a number of files going back a
few years, each of which seems to contain environment variable settings
for a particular D-Bus invocation. The newest one is from July last
year.

> My backup program cannot copy it, and I can't access it, except
> possibly as root.

That shouldn’t happen. Everything in my one belongs to me.