Announcing dbus 1.13.10

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Tue May 14 22:51:02 UTC 2019

On Tue, 14 May 2019 12:16:04 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:

> It would probably be appropriate for dbus-daemon to read policies from
> /usr/local/share by default, but that's harder to get right than you
> might think, because there are some annoying issues involving
> precedence. See <https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus/issues/253>.

Looking at that, and the one linked to
<https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus/issues/137>, one thing that
strikes me, off the top of my head, is that the hard-coded meaning of
<standard_system_servicedirs/> is a bad idea; get rid of that
(replacing it with explicit entries in config files that the sysadmin
can edit) and some things get simpler.

Does that directive have to be kept, for backward compatibility? If so,
how about adding another config file in /etc/dbus-1 to define what it
means? Then the sysadmin could even make it mean nothing at all.

But if the directive only occurs in files that the sysadmin is not
supposed to edit, then is there a backward compatibility issue at all?