D-Bus Introspection: pure data structure representation

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Fri May 17 23:04:08 UTC 2019

On Fri, 17 May 2019 12:03:26 -0400, Felipe Gasper wrote:

> This would allow applications to interface with D-Bus
> without needing to load XML libraries, which seem to be in
> progressively less use nowadays as formats such as JSON have become
> predominant.

In my view, the kinds of apps that need to use introspection tend to be
written in high-level languages like Python, in which XML support is
commonplace, as is support for interconverting between XML and
language-specific type representations. So I don’t see this as a biggie.

Lower-level languages like C/C++/Java/etc tend to be unwieldy in
dealing with dynamic typing anyway, so I don’t see a switch from XML to
JSON as being helpful to them.