Listening to a remote object's signals using the low-level API?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Apr 8 00:58:20 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 7 April 2020 09:11:42 -03 Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 at 17:26:00 -0500, Sean Haugh wrote:
> > I am trying to listen to a remote object's signals using the low-level
> > API.
>
> Whose low-level API?
>
> Options include the reference implementation of D-Bus (libdbus);
> systemd's reimplementation (sd-bus), which is fairly low-level; GLib's
> reimplementation (GDBus), which offers both high- and low-level APIs; and
> various bindings into non-C languages, some of which offer both high- and
> low-level APIs (for example dbus-python has both).

If you're talking about the libdbus-1 low-level API, you install a message
filter and then you get all messages. You need to inspect the incoming message
type, object path and other markers that your code expects to match. If it
matches, then handle.

Either way, return DBUS_HANDLER_RESULT_NOT_YET_HANDLED.